Wednesday 7 November 2007

Flock. Posting blogs from...

Well, if you're reading this it means that the Flock browser has done one thing well.

Browsing the web, all I've done is click a button in Flock's toolbar and started typing. Of course, I had to sign in once, but it looks as though that's all I've got to do.

I'm hoping that we won't see a sudden, short-lived flurry of new 'social browsers' and instead will see these features implemented on existing browsers. This sounds a bit harsh, but the browser wars are already tiresome enough without adding another one to the battlefield. At least using Firefox means that it's easy to add this kind of functionality without too much hassle.

Flock is a relative newcomer to the browser market, and has just released it's version 1 on a rather suspecting public. I've yet to take it for a full test drive, but it seems to render styles and pages well enough, even if it did take a little while to start, and the features I haven't even touched yet but I'll be looking at them in more depth as I use it more and more.

If you're looking for a new slant on how to browse the web with a few social features thrown into the mix, this might just be what you're looking for with integration into Facebook and other social sites included in the install. One thing, though, is that these aren't intrusive and only make their presence known if you decide to use them. As this blog entry is testimony, these additions seem to be quite constructive and usable.

Although it seems to be just another Mozilla engine in a pretty wrapper, it might just prove to be a springboard for a fresh way to browse the web.

I, for one, am not holding my breath.

Check out Flock here.

No comments: